It’s natural to have a bit of worry over what the future may hold, particularly for seniors. While you still have so much to look forward to there are common aging fears that many seniors have. They often really start to take hold when considering senior living options; to the point that you may put it off as long as possible. But in doing so, these fears may end up short-changing all the benefits you could enjoy in senior living. Here’s how and why you shouldn’t let them!
Common Aging Fears
Whether you’re experiencing health issues, now live by yourself or wonder if you’ve saved enough over the years, you certainly aren’t alone in your concerns. The most common aging fears include:
- Loss of independence
- Declining health
- Running out of money
- Moving from home
- Losing loved ones
- Depending on others
- Not being able to drive
- Being isolated and lonely
- Falling or becoming disabled
Challenging the Perceptions of Senior Living
Many times seniors immediately nix the idea of senior living without really considering it. The reasons for this include believing their home will always be where they belong and/or that senior living is seen as a tipping point for the fears above because of outdated stigmas that it’s only for those who can no longer care for themselves.
However, nothing could be further from the truth in today’s senior living communities. In fact, many residents say they wish they would have made the move sooner and many do move while completely healthy. Why? Because the reality is that senior living communities now more closely resemble resorts with maintenance-free living, plenty of amenities and a lifestyle focused on wellness. Navion communities are no exception.
Why Senior Living Options are Worth Consideration
Whether or not you ultimately choose senior living, it’s worth considering if for no other reason than more confidently ruling it out. But don’t be surprised if you find a move to senior living may actually put your mind at ease over some of those aging fears, even more so than staying home with:
- Different lifestyle experiences based on your needs and wants from independent living to assisted living to memory care; all of which are designed to empower independence by providing just the right amount of support. What’s more, many senior living communities, including Navion Senior Solutions, feature multiple lifestyle experiences on the same campus which means you’ll have the added peace of mind that you can stay in familiar surroundings and maintain continuity of care should health needs evolve down the road.
- Financial predictability in that you won’t always worry about when the next unexpected expense is going to pop up which can take such a weight off your shoulders and make it easier to enjoy life. Not to mention many senior living communities feature a range of pricing options to give you more control over how, when and what you will pay.
- Options to keep you active and connected as most senior living communities have monthly calendars filled with clubs, classes, events and outings. For example, our Daily Living program engages and nurtures each of the six dimensions of wellness: physical, social, intellectual, emotional, purposeful, and spiritual. Plus, we take the time to learn what our residents already like to do and what they’d like to try so there’s something for everyone to enjoy each day.
- Conveniences like home maintenance, housekeeping, laundry, scheduled transportation and nutritious, chef-inspired meals as well as amenities such as a 24-hour onsite fitness center, theatre, game room with billiards and dedicated art studio plus beautiful outdoor areas not only give you more freedom, but more opportunity to do the things you want to do!